Ron Holzman’s office hours:
Sunday 16:30-17:30 , Amado 605
Combinatorics (104286), Spring 2017/18:
|Lecture: Thursday||Recitation: Thursday|
|Place:||Ullmann 303||Ullmann 303|
1. Elementary enumeration problems.
2. The binomial coefficients and their properties.
3. The inclusion-exclusion principle.
5. The pigeonhole principle.
6. Graphs: basic notions.
7. Eulerian graphs.
8. The marriage theorem.
9. Ramsey’s theorem.
10. Coloring and planarity.
Selected Topics in Combinatorics 2 (106928), Spring 2017/18:
|Place:||Amado 619||Amado 719|
The course will cover topics in extremal combinatorics, dealing mainly with families of finite sets. Applications to geometry, number theory and computer science will also be presented.
1. Theorems about antichains, intersecting families, ideals of sets.
2. Set shattering and the VC-dimension of a family of sets.
3. Boolean operations on families of sets, correlation inequalities.
4. Sunflowers in families of sets.